For future human rights policy and practice.
Strategic Studies is an initiative of Amnesty International Netherlands. Since 2013 Strategic Studies has been mapping out national and international social, political and legal developments which can affect the future of human rights and the work of Amnesty International in particular.
Latest: Germany – Shifting Power and Human Rights Diplomacy
In our latest essay volume ten authors from German academia, think tanks and NGO’s write about Germany’s relations with other EU member states and rising powers like China and India. Also they focus on the impact on the country’s external human rights policies. Among the contributors to this volume are Ulrike Guérot (author off Warum Europa eine Republik werden muss! Eine politische Utopie), Katrin Kinzelbach (Global Public Policy Institute), Michael Krennerich (Friedrich Alexander University), Andrea Berg and Alexia Knappmann (both working at Amnesty Germany).
Changing Perspectives on Human Rights
The Changing Perspectives on Human Rights series explores possible implications of relevant social, political, legal and technological trends for the future of human rights and the work of human rights organizations. The essay volumes consists of original, critical and forward-looking essays by leading academics and practitioners working in the human rights domain.
Shifting Power and Human Rights Diplomacy
The Shifting Power and Human Rights Diplomacy series focuses on rising powers and their current and potential roles in the international protection and promotion of human rights. It contains volumes with original essays on the human rights foreign policy of rising global and regional powers, which are distributed to key strategic leaders in ministries, think tanks, universities and NGO’s working on human rights, democracy and rule of law.
Articles, Briefs and Opinions
- Een nieuwe orde, een oud geluid? (October 2015, Internationale Spectator)
- Justice over rigths? (October 2015, OpenDemocracy/OpenGlobalRights)
- How revolutionary are global human rights? (May 2015, OpenDemocracy)
- Is the emerging middle class our best hope for global rights activism? (October 2014, OpenDemocracy)
- De Europese Unie als mensenrechtenprotagonist in de wereld van morgen (February 2014, Internationale Spectator)
- ‘The EU’s Human Rights Promotion in a Changing World Order’ (December 2013, Next Generation for Europe)
- Mensenrechtenbrief vertrouwt te veel op business as usual in de VN (November 2013, Internationale Spectator)